Thursday, September 18, 2014

Screech Owl

Yesterday I attended an all day oil painting workshop with Sally O'Neill, a painter whose works I greatly admired. Yes, I bought some oil painting supplies, but mine are a little different because they are "water-soluble oils", which means they are oils....but they can clean up with water instead of solvents. Anyway, the workshop demo was amazing. I LOVED watching Sally paint and demonstrate just how someone paints with oils, and we (there were 3 of us in class) got to ask questions all along the way. Fascinating! After lunch we did a little painting of our own.

My oil painting supplies arrived a week ago, and they had not even been touched by me until the day of the workshop. Eeek! My "painting" (Ha ha ha ha ha!) was basically an exercise in learning to push oil colors around on canvas. Much, much different that my liquid acrylics. Lots of practice ahead to learn how to control this medium, but it's all fun, right? Yep, it will be.

Acrylics are still #1 with me, and I know what to expect from them. Today I painted a Screech Owl, but by the time it was finished, maybe it should be called a "Spotted Owl"? Of all the references I have available, I have to smile that the "Screech" owl was the one that got my attention today. An inward reflection of learning a new art form, maybe?

 
Screech Owl, © Dorothy Jenson 2014
6 x 6" acrylic on wrapped canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment