Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Retired Maytag

After painting my classic Bernina yesterday, I remembered a photo I took on a morning walk not too long ago of an antique Maytag wringer washer that was left out in a neglected part of someone's side yard. The washer intrigued me then, and today it was time to try painting it. My husband has a rather painful memory of a washer similar to this one. Those wringers caught one of his little 3 year old hands when he was trying to "help" and carries the scar on his palm to this day of the damage done. I wonder about the stories this washer could tell. How excited was the first owner to receive it brand new? How many loads of diapers did it handle? How long did it serve? Lots of memories here for someone.


Retired Maytag © Dorothy Jenson 2015
6x6 inches, acrylic on wood panel $50

No comments:

Post a Comment