Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Water Lines

I was in an office last week that had little signs on the wall showing the "water lines" from flooding in years gone by. That title seemed appropriate for the fun little exercise I tried today. Here's a beach scene from our trip to the Outer Banks 2 years ago, and I have rendered it entirely with lines...no blending or layering. This is a rough quickie, somewhat imitative of another artist whose work I admire, just to see what it felt like to try and mark the shapes in an impressionistic way.

Water Lines, 8 x 8 pastel on grey paper

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you picking up the paintbrush (or chalk or pastels or pencils or crayons) again! You don't know how many times I have "bragged" about you to family and friends...your talent and your artwork (the pictures on the walls, the rocks in the garden, etc.) are an important part of my memories of childhood.

    Sophie likes the picture, especially the seagulls. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of an art technique I have my students try sometimes. I'll have to show you some samples. (Yours is WAY better!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being so supportive of my scribbling! I does feel good to be dabbling in art work again...it will be interesting to see what my own individual "style" will be like. It will probably evolve slowly as I continue to practice. :)

    ReplyDelete