Thursday, May 8, 2014

Ted and Camas Trail

At an auction to raise funds for youth activities, I offered to paint a pet portrait, and the highest bidder was one of our Sister Missionaries! A family member back home has a cherished Pomeranian and she wanted a fun portrait to send as a surprise. She sent me pictures, and here is Ted! I had a great time painting Ted's portrait. That long, shaggy fur simply begged for extra color. :)


"Ted"
6 x 6 inch acrylic on wrapped canvas © Dorothy Jenson 2014


Last week Ken and I went for our annual stroll through the Camassia Nature area in West Linn. It's the time of year when the blue Camas flowers are at their height of bloom! I have translated some of the scenery in pastel in the past, but this time I used acrylic gouache, which is a different kind of water based acrylic. This painting is simplified and stylized to show the blue flowers along the trail. The late afternoon sun had the meadow in shadow, but the back row of trees caught the sunlight and glowed a yellowish color.


"Camas Trail"
6 x 6 inch acrylic gouache on wrapped canvas, sides painted blue
© Dorothy Jenson 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment