Monday, April 15, 2013

Plein Air at the Beach

I'm staying at the coast for a few days and wanted to try some plein air pastel painting on the beach! I packed my bags, grabbed a beach chair and went out to sit in the sand. I was working very small...only 4 x 6 inch papers. Here are some things I learned while sitting there:
 
1. Don't lean in your chair. (sand is very, very soft)
2. I don't have a "sand" colored pastel. Oh well....I improvised.
3. The scenery is immense! I used my camera viewfinder to try to select a composition.
4. I didn't notice to how cold it felt after getting into the "zone".
5. Large shaggy, wet, sandy dogs running up to see what you are doing could possibly be devasting. Today's dog, however, obeyed commands from his owners very nicely. I also got nice comments from the owners. :)
6. Clouds change quickly.
7. The learning curve is huge.
8. I'll have to go back and do it again.
9. If I call them "studies", I feel better about the results. :)
 

 
 
 

10 AM Looking North, 4 x 6 pastel on sanded paper


10:30 AM Looking South, 4 x 6 pastel on sanded paper

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! The coastal landscapes look right - keep at it!

    ReplyDelete