Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sand and Surf

The hours are flying by! Hanging out by myself, taking long walks on the beach, reading, and painting is a dream vacation. Might have to do it again sometime. :)
 
First painting today are these little pretties I found on the beach. I will admit to placing the green stone (or maybe it's glass?) next to the shell before taking the photo reference.
 
 
Shore Art 1, 6 x 6 pastel
 
 

This next painting is exactly as I found it in the sand. Nature did a very good job of arranging the shapes and colors in a pleasing composition, and all I had to do was take the picture and create the painting. After a bit of experimentation I came up with a way to do the "sand". I used a small paint brush to "sweep" bits of color off the pastel stick and let it fall onto the paper. Then I rolled it with a smooth glass so that the particles would "stick" to the painting. So cool!


Shore Art 2, 6 x 6 pastel


I came upon this beach access and instinctively knew it would make a good painting. So many artists have painted their own version of a "trail to the beach" and this is my first entry into that category. I didn't spend too much time on this painting, but it turned out rather pleasing anyway. :)


Beach Access, 8 x 10 pastel

No comments:

Post a Comment