Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hetch Hetchy and Advice to Me

Ugh. This was one of those days that nothing seemed to go right with my art. I did several attempts at a scene and didn't like any of them. Then I was browsing some online art and looked at the blog of a pastel artist that I really admire: Karen Margulis. Today she posted advice that someone gave to her once. The advice was to "Paint More Often". Karen took that advice and has been painting daily for 6 years. DAILY! Naturally, she has learned so much through the experience, and has become a wonderful painter.

"Dear me: Stop being so hard on yourself. Stop judging your own work against professionals who have put in years of labor to get where they are. Keep working and keep learning."

With that in mind, here's today's effort. (At least the one I will show you). This is a scene from a hike in the Hetch Hetchy in June. It's a part of the Yosemite National Park that most people don't go to see because it was flooded years ago to build a dam. The colors are off and the composition lacks something, but even in the yuckiness I have learned a few things. I guess that's progress.

"Hetch Hetchy", 5x5 on black paper

1 comment:

  1. Katie posted a link to this video on her blog:
    http://vimeo.com/24715531

    If you haven't listened to it yet, I think it applies.

    Hetch Hetchy is such a great name. I like the rocks in the foreground and the way you can tell the waterline around the reservoir.

    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete